Modafinil Side Effects
For a long time, Modafinil has been considered as one of the most efficient psycho stimulant drugs since no serious side effect of it has been traced till now. Though few reports of its side effects have been found, it would always be better not to overlook them altogether. Therefore, it is advisable to those people who are going to consume Modafinil or Armodafinil for the first time that they should be aware of its allergic reaction to eliminate any kind of health hazards. The considerable factor is that whenever your doctor recommends you to take Modafinil, he or she should believe that the benefits of taking this drug must overshadow its side effects on you.
Common side effects
The common side effects of Modafinil faced by people are mentioned below –
- Among those few side effects of this drug, the common effects are nausea, headache, anxiety, dizziness and disturbed sleep. If you undergo any of these side effects infrequently, then there is no big issue, but if you face any of these problems for an extended period, you must consult with your physician.
- Although rare, but some more serious side effects of Modafinil are also present. These include sudden changes in the mood, perplexity in mind, agitation, depression, hallucination and other types of indistinctive state of mind.
- Few people reported about pain in the chest, increased and unsteady heartbeats, any symptoms of infection like frequent fever and sore throat.
- Moreover, few cases of allergic reactions have come into notice. Allergic reactions indicate the common types of swelling or itching especially in throat, tongue or throat, forming on blisters on the skin and its stripping away, constant dizziness, the appearance of skin rushes and heavy breathing.
If a Modafinil user experiences any of these symptoms mentioned above for a prolonged time, he or she immediately seek medical help from their doctors.
However, while with the doctor about these side effects, it is always essential to inform them whether the user has any kind of cardiac problem or other health issues that can affect the blood pressure. Moreover, they should confirm to the doctor whether they have any kind of liver disease, problem related to kidney or any mental disorder. They should also inform if the Modafinil user has any kind of drug or alcohol addiction.
Interference with other medicines
Although chances are less, still it is always better to inform the doctor whether the patient is taking any other medicines – be it prescribed or non-prescribed or any herbal supplement so that he or she can prevent any kind of undesirable effects due to interfering of two drugs. Let’s have a look on different medicines that have the possibility of interference with Modafinil.
- If you are taking medicines for high blood pressure, any kind of anticoagulants like Warfarin or medicines like Phenobarbital and rifabutin that may affect the hepatic enzyme activities, you should inform your doctor before start using Modafinil.
- Chances are there that Modafinil may speed up or slow down the activity of liver enzymes that play a great role for ejecting other drugs in the body. Therefore, if a person is already taking any prescribed antidepressant, he may not get its benefit after taking Modafinil as it may affect on its activities. Moreover, the monoamine oxidase inhibitors (antidepressants) may not work properly at the presence of Modafinil. Therefore, doctors usually suggest stop taking these medicines for around two weeks prior to, during and following taking Modafinil in order to avert any serious health issue.
- Possibilities are there that Modafinil might hamper the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives like birth control pills. Therefore, it is always better to adopt other types of birth control methods during taking Modafinil. In fact, the users should continue the same method for four more weeks subsequently push aside the unwanted pregnancy.
- You should also consider to take medicines for cold that contains ephedrine or pseudo-ephedrine along with Modafinil as chances of increased heart rate, or enhanced blood pressure may occur. On the other hand, consumption of strong dosage of caffeine while taking Modafinil would bring similar effect on your body.
Click here for Modafinil dosage recommendations.